I usually try to get the Grails Diary published on mondays (well, every secon monday for the last months), but yesterday
I just could not complete it. Eric Helgeson completely ruined that! And thank you for it. I received an email about the new
Grails 3 book being ready for early access, and writing was replaced by reading. It brings up my own personal
(opinionated and highly un-scientific) top 3 list of events in the Grails Ecosystem for the last year or two:
- The release of Grails 3.0 and OCI starts sponsoring the Grails Team (+ growing it wildly)
- Eric Helgeson writing a Grails 3 based book
- The upgrade of the Spring Security plugins
I've not read the entire bookj yet, but the part I have are very well written, and really the piece missing in a great ecosystem.
Go to grails3book.com
to get your copy of "Grails 3: A Practical Guide to Application Development".
Groovy 2.4.8 is out, the changelogs
shows a large number of bugs addressed, and a few improvements.
Mr. Haki has already blogged on one of the improvements: Groovy Goodness: Uncapitalize Strings.
Congrats to Sergio del Amo (and OCI) for the new job at OCI. Sergio who blogs the Groovy Calamari newsletter,
has besides a blog post on the My first day at OCI,
already contributed a new Grails Guide on
Testing a Secured Grails Application,
Matt Moss has contributed another great guide on Using Command Objects To Handle Form Data,
so the number of guides on guides.grails.org has already doubled since the launch at the G3 Summit.
Geb 1.1 and 1.1.1 has been released, the later fixing a minor regression. Marcin Erdmann announced it on the Geb Mailing List,
and it has improvements for using url fragment identifiers when navigating to pages, and this makes it easier to test single page apps.
One thing to note also is the Grails 2.x plugin has been discontinued, but you can still use new versions of Geb by specifying the version in BuildConfig.groovy
Naresha K has shared his slides from GR8Conf India on Think beyond frameworks, The real gems are in the languages.
and from those, I hope the video will be available soon.
The Http Builder NG from Christopher Stehno
is out in version 0.13.0, with an updated group-id: io.github.http-builder-ng.
Renato Athaydes has shared his adaptors for the old HttpBuilder, to make it a bit easier to use.
Whan I write the next Grails Diary, the CFP for GR8Conf EU 2017 will be closed,
so get those proposals in! This year, GR8Conf EU will have an added focus on DevOps, so those talks are especially welcome.
Podcasts and Videos of Presentations
Blogs, Articles, etc.
Updated Grails 3 Plugins
- asynchronous-mail (2.0.0.RC5) The plugin realises asynchronous mail sending. It stores messages in a DB and sends them asynchronously by a quartz job..
- aws-sdk-sqs (2.1.9) Grails AWS SDK SQS plugin.
- aws-sdk-sns (2.1.9) Grails AWS SDK SNS plugin.
- aws-sdk-ses (2.1.9) Grails AWS SDK SES plugin.
- aws-sdk-s3 (2.1.9) Grails AWS SDK S3 plugin.
- aws-sdk-kinesis (2.1.9) Grails AWS SDK Kinesis plugin.
- aws-sdk-dynamodb (2.1.9) Grails AWS SDK DynamoDB plugin.
- sass-asset-pipeline (2.12.9) Provides fast and easy .sass and .scss file support for Transpiling to CSS. This plugin takes advantage of jsass and libsass for maximum performance..
- less-asset-pipeline (2.12.9) LESS Compiler for the Asset-Pipeline.
- ember-asset-pipeline (2.12.9) Compiles hbs or handlebars files for the asset-pipeline into the Ember.TEMPLATES cache.
- compass-asset-pipeline (2.12.9) Provides Compass/SCSS Build support using the jruby runtime. Any compass project can be adjusted to be built by the asset-pipeline and used in applications..
- coffee-asset-pipeline (2.12.9) Easily process coffee-script files with the asset-pipeline plugin. Package includes both jvm coffee runtime as well as the ability to use the coffeescript npm module if detected..
- html-cleaner (220.127.116.11) Html Cleaner Grails Plugin.
- grails-views (1.1.4) Grails Views.
- views-json-templates (1.1.4) Grails views-json-templates plugin.
- views-gradle (1.1.4) Grails views-gradle plugin.
- filterpane (3.0.7) .
Updated Grails 2 Plugins
Plugin for using Stripe to process credit card transactions.
Queuemail plugin is a centralised email queueing system configurable for many providers all centrally controlled and limited to either daily limit or failures exceeding failureTolerance limit (in a row). By default all email's passing through are priority driven and configured by overall customService name. Two methods of priority queueing are provided BASIC and ENHANCED (default). Enhanced launches an additional thread for each running task and will attempt to kill any running process considere...
CoffeeScript Asset-Pipeline Plugin
Provides coffee-script support for the asset-pipeline static asset management plugin.
SASS/SCSS Asset-Pipeline Plugin
Provides SASS/SCSS Compass support for the asset-pipeline static asset management plugin.
LESS Asset-Pipeline Plugin
Provides LESS support for the asset-pipeline static asset management plugin.
Asset Pipeline Plugin
A fair criticism of #groovylang in certain scenarios. Have also felt this pain. https://twitter.com/gregturn/status/821408925631311873
ICYMI: Reactively talking to @CloudFoundry with #GroovyLang http://greglturnquist.com/2017/01/reactively-talking-to-cloud-foundry-with-groovy.html https://t.co/K3ivNI4T7v
Just purchased my copy!@grails3book ???? @nulleric
Response so far to @grails3book far surpassed my expectations. Will open up to the everyone soon! #grailsfw
How long does it take to get file (exists, last modified, length) in Java? http://bit.ly/2k0QxLx
@yilazius @glaforge very minor: use def or void for method return, not both. I've mocked interfaces this way, but not classes. Clever :-)
GR8Conf CFP is open to #groovylang, #grailsfw, #gradle, #devops #andmore talks http://bit.ly/1jSjZKZ Deadline: Jan 31st 2017.
I'm happy to announce my new @gradle plugin
Load the dependencies from pom.xml to simplify… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/821101526991196161
Check out the latest Grails Guide by my colleague @sdelamo! https://twitter.com/sdelamo/status/820994798228213761 https://t.co/rrr5Mz006a
A tool for gathering profiling and benchmarking information for Gradle builds https://github.com/gradle/gradle-profiler
#groovylang 2.4.8 released! Kudos to @paulk_asert and rest of the contributors ???? http://groovy-lang.org/changelogs/changelog-2.4.8.html
Groovy 2.4.8 released on SDKMAN! #groovylang
Thanks @kohsukekawa and @jfrog for the @jenkinsci 2.0 presentation:
at the #JFrog meetup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0uO9W2twZc
hey, @codemash the slides, the video and all the shownotes from my yesterdays Devops@Scale talk are up! https://www.jfrog.com/shownotes/codemash2017-devopsatscale/ #codemash
Finally I've thought a new talk to submit to @greachconf. It's a live-coding session about @_Javaslang and @ApacheGroovy.
What do you think?
Groovy fell out of the top 20 in the TIOBE index. Where’s my torch and pitchfork?! (wink)
The ratpack Registry always throws people for a loop, I think I'll put together a Registry based talk/workshop for this year
Open source tip: you’ll learn A LOT from taking a single project you actively use, “watching” it on GitHub and reading every issue and PR.
Great guide showing how to build a @reactjs + Grails app, written by @ZacharyAKlein of @ObjectComputing http://guides.grails.org/building-a-react-app #grailsfw
Will be doing a blog post on my book build setup after release, was fun to build it with @gradle https://twitter.com/grails3book/status/818960397378129920
Building an preview to send to reviewers tonight; all goes well we are just a few days from public early access release!
#grailsfw 3 is awesome. released our 1st 2 plugins (internal) today. thanks : @burtbeckwith, @alvaro_sanchez , @puneetbhl 4 #gr8conf talks
Groovy provides a compact, highly expressive, and compatible scripting environment http://red.ht/2feuIXf
A day well spent in #coderetreat @GR8ConfIN by @naresha_k. Thanks for the amazing session https://t.co/55VFVHOUmj
Fetching more on groovy. Falling in love again with groovy. Thanks @kenkousen
The GR8Conf IN 2017.
GR8 Speakers are here already #TOTHENEW, see you tomorrow @GR8ConfIN @grailsframework @groovylang https://t.co/5tunDqrZri
Conferences and meetups
- Java.IL: The Journey to a Clean Code with Unit Tests and Groovy, Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel, January 22nd, 2017.
- Austin Groovy and Grails Users: G3Summit Wrapup! , Austin - Texas, January 25th, 2017.
- Boston Groovy Grails & Spring / B2GS Meetup: Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed: Groovy Metaprograming , Boston - Massachusetts, January 26th, 2017.
- Norfolk Developers: Gradle: Building & Deploying in a Polyglot World , Norfolk - UK, February 1st, 2017.
- Greach, Madrid - Spain, March 30th - April 1st, 2017.
- GR8conf Europe, Copenhagen - Denmark, May 31st - June 2nd, 2017. Call For Papers
- GR8conf US, Minneapolis - USA, July 26th - 28th, 2016.