The 141th edition of the Grails Diary contains Lots of releases, and Mr Haki on a blogging spree!
Version 2.4.9 of Groovy has been released. The changelog
reveals some bug fixes for using trait, SQL and a few 2.4.8 regressions fixed.
The Windows installer for this version is out,
and it is available on sdkman.io.
Groovy now has official Docker images hub.docker.com/_/groovy/,
based on the Alpine Linux distro, and with support for several Java versions.
Asteroid, a set of utilities to make it easier to develop AST transformations for Groovy, has been released in version 0.2.4.
The documentation is available at grooviter.github.io/asteroid.
Grails 3.2.7 is out with bug fixes and minor improvements.
You can find the issues that was resolved at Github.
The Guides section on guides.grails.org is steadily increasing in numbers.
A few of the recent ones are:
Having mentioned the official guides, it is also fair to point to Didin Jamaludin, who has a nice series of blogs on Groovy and Grails (and other topics), which you can find at
The most recent ones is linked in the blogs section.
GORM 6.1 has the first release candidate out.
See gorm.grails.org/6.1.x for documentation on new features for Hibernate, MongoDB and Neo4j.
The next generation HTTP Builder has been released in version 0.14.0, and some of the new features are a test kit refactoring, and full DIGEST support,
The project website, with link to the updated documentation is found at: http-builder-ng.github.io/http-builder-ng.
Christopher J. Stehno has released the Ersatz Server in version 1.0.0, with a rework of BASIC/DIGEST support, and updated documentation.
The projects homepage is at stehno.com/ersatz.
Griffon 2.10.0 has been released.
The release notes reveals updates to dependencies and new features on Module Evictions, Enhanced Properties and ResourceBundle Support, JavaFX Support and lots more
If you are doing testing using Docker images, you probably have found the Testcontainers project.
Testcontainers 1.2.0 is out, with the changelog available.
As part of the project, there is also support for running Spock Specs in Docker containers, check out the testcontainers-spock project.
Gradle has a bugfix version out: 3.4.1.
It addresses a regression in incremental compilation, and you are recommended to upgrade.
Gradle alse officially support the gradle-completion project, for bash and zsh tab completion.
You can still claim your ticket to Greach in the end of March, and for GR8Conf EU in the end of May.
GR8Conf EU comes with an added focus on DevOps, as these competencies are in high demand, and many of the speakers and talks have already been announced.
Blogs, Articles, etc.
Updated Grails 3 Plugins
- grails-views (1.2.0.RC1) Grails Views.
- views-json-templates (1.2.0.RC1) Grails views-json-templates plugin.
- views-gradle (1.2.0.RC1) Grails views-gradle plugin.
- cassandra (6.1.0.RC1) GORM - Grails Data Access Framework.
- spring-security-jaxrs (3.0.1) A plugin that allows the use of Spring Security features with JAX-RS resources..
- rx-gorm-rest-client (1.1.0.RC1) Provides a RxGORM Object Mapping implementation for communication with REST web services.
- neo4j (6.1.0.RC1) GORM - Grails Data Access Framework.
- rx-mongodb (6.1.0.RC1) GORM - Grails Data Access Framework.
- mongodb (6.1.0.RC1) GORM for MongoDB.
- hibernate4 (6.1.0.RC1) GORM - Grails Data Access Framework.
- hibernate5 (6.1.0.RC1) GORM - Grails Data Access Framework.
- cxf (3.1.1) Grails CXF Plugin.
- grails-x-frame-options-plugin (1.1.0) Servlet filter that adds a X-FRAME-OPTIONS response header.
- karman-grails (0.11.0) Karman is a standardized / extensible interface plugin for dealing with various cloud services including Local, S3, and Openstack..
- scaffolding (3.3.1) Grails scaffolding plugin.
- distributed-lock (3.1.7) This plugin provides a framework and interface for a synchronization mechanism distributed to multiple server instances. In today's world of horizontal computational scale and massive concurrency, it becomes increasingly difficult to synchronize operations outside the context of a single computational space (server/process). This plugin aims to make that easier by providing a simple service to facilitate this, as well as defining an interface for adding low level providers..
- rxjava (1.1.0) A plugin that integrates Grails with RxJava.
- sass-asset-pipeline (2.13.2) Provides fast and easy .sass and .scss file support for Transpiling to CSS. This plugin takes advantage of jsass and libsass for maximum performance..
- less-asset-pipeline (2.13.2) LESS Compiler for the Asset-Pipeline.
- ember-asset-pipeline (2.13.2) Compiles hbs or handlebars files for the asset-pipeline into the Ember.TEMPLATES cache.
- compass-asset-pipeline (2.13.2) Provides Compass/SCSS Build support using the jruby runtime. Any compass project can be adjusted to be built by the asset-pipeline and used in applications..
- coffee-asset-pipeline (2.13.2) Easily process coffee-script files with the asset-pipeline plugin. Package includes both jvm coffee runtime as well as the ability to use the coffeescript npm module if detected..
Updated Grails 2 Plugins
This year t-shirts are black but it was necessary and we think you're gonna love them. If not, it's @albertovilches' fault ;-)
Super Mario strikes again!
Asteroid: Groovy helpers for #groovylang AST transformations. https://twitter.com/marioggar/status/840985420888436736
I invented the web. Here are three things we need to change to save it | Tim Berners-Lee https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/11/tim-berners-lee-web-inventor-save-internet
You missed our post on how to empower #Jenkins with #Gradle ? Here's another chance: http://buff.ly/2maPPtl cc… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/840641734304489472
Create a DOT file of a #gradle task execution graph using this plugin:
#gradleTip (via @mmalohlava)
Any #groovylang or #javalang projects need some site or documentation love?
Visiting #Greach and in for a Groovy battle? Join our coding contest with @koenusTweets http://buff.ly/2lS97Sl… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/840173396122038272
Did you know that #groovylang had type-safe, statically compiled templates? http://bit.ly/1tQ61fj
2017 JDK.IO Call For Speakers in the ecosystem surrounding #Java for more info see http://bit.ly/2mBElkV #Payara #SpringBoot #WildflySwarm
Check out this year amazing speakers: http://2017.greachconf.com/speakers/
#greach #groovylang #grailsfw
all the source code for https://www.infoq.com/articles/Testing-RxJava2 can be found at https://github.com/aalmiray/testing-rxjava2
.@kyleboon @tim_yates @Lspacewalker @NoamTenne @aalmiray you say that like you're joking, but I do that for real
I hereby confirm that @tim_yates is the fastest member of the #groovy community at SO
Remember that the agenda with all the talks and workshops is available: http://2017.greachconf.com/agenda/
#greach #groovylang #grailsfw
This month at @madridgug we are talking about creating Apple TV apps with @grailsframework by @sdelamo #cool https://t.co/wvJBgzVB4Y
A few months ago, I missed celebrating 1 million downloads of Asciidoctor (gem). Now, 1.5M. Growth is skyrocketing. http://bestgems.org/gems/asciidoctor
The list of speakers at #gr8conf EU 2017 is growing day by day: http://bit.ly/OOWPdd @ApacheGroovy @grailsframework @gradle #devops
#GrooCSS - Code your #CSS in #GroovyLang, using a natural Groovy #DSL / @adamldavis
Totally flabbergasted when people criticise and complain about OSS that they receive for free and have contributed nothing towards.
@sdkman_ it happened… 1st source reading about a new #gradle release is @sdkman_ :P (to my defense: I was on vacation)
@rob_winch there is also this - https://github.com/palantir/gradle-docker-test-runner which looks very close to what you’re asking for
Spring REST docs is awesome!! Thanks @codeJENNerator for providing such a great example of how to use it: https://github.com/jlstrater/groovy-spring-boot-restdocs-example
@rob_winch @bsideup @kyleboon @starbuxman works great with Couchbase too. https://blog.couchbase.com/testing-spring-data-couchbase-applications-with-testcontainers/
@rob_winch @kyleboon @starbuxman don't forget to join our Slack :) http://slack.testcontainers.org
We're very active community and happy to help :)
Great compilation boost with #gradle ! 10 times faster.Incremental Compilation - gradle3.4
#maven #java #programming
Submitted a couple of talks for @GR8ConfUS! Wish me luck ??#groovylang
distributed-lock 3.1.7 released: http://plugins.grails.org/plugin/bertramlabs/distributed-lock
Dear Lazy Web, What is the best #Gradle setup for running tests against some sort of container (i.e. the tests require Redis)? Samples?
I also submitted talk for @GR8ConfUS to talk about @ratpackweb and devops with #groovylang! Really looking forward to it!
Just submitted for @GR8ConfUS. Very excited to (hopefully) give this talk! #java #cloud https://t.co/HHyCavexsA
New Blog: TDD Harms Architecture: http://blog.cleancoder.com/uncle-bob/2017/03/03/TDD-Harms-Architecture.html
That's the best explanation of Java 8 streams you'll ever see. https://twitter.com/tagir_valeev/status/837668960426418177
Release 2.0.4 of the gradle-jooq-plugin is now available with better configuration error reporting. #gradle #jooq https://plugins.gradle.org/plugin/nu.studer.jooq/2.0.4
Very excited (and nervous) to speak about @ApacheGroovy, #DSL and many cool tools as @gradle or @spockframework in… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/837388216986648576
.@codeJENNerator I think we learned some things, but most importantly #groovylang is awesome, and we should encourage others to join us!
The http://stehno.com/ersatz Twitter account is alive! #groovylang
On behalf of the community, I’m pleased to announce #SpringSecurity 4.2.2 has been released
@craigatk1 lmao, great idea! https://t.co/emMw8Oan6F
I need to write a tricky GEB test. I'll just Google @craigatk1 and keep the tab open. https://t.co/bokJf9iXoU
Official @ApacheGroovy #docker images available, thanks to @keeganwitt
GR8Conf EU is proud to support the @Gr8Ladies offering an underrepresented group or students a way to go to… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/836542673427255297
We are pleased to announce we are giving away two tickets to #gr8conf 2017 in Copenhagen. Apply before April 1. https://goo.gl/forms/Rn6SzMKgJrGiAdIn2
I will be speaking at #gids17 #grailsfw #groovylang http://www.developermarch.com/developersummit/session.html?insert=Naresha
Why isn't #groovylang's Gorm an official part of #SpringBoot?
It there something equal in #SpringBoot?
An introductory book on programming, in French, using #groovylang. https://twitter.com/glaforge/status/836183966252158976
Artifactory by @jfrog now supports Chef cookbooks as a native artifact format! https://cards.twitter.com/cards/18ce53uppha/3iffh
Conferences and meetups
- Greach, Madrid - Spain, March 30th - April 1st, 2017.
- GR8conf Europe, Copenhagen - Denmark, May 31st - June 2nd, 2017. Call For Papers
- Gradle Summit, Palo Alto - CA, June 22rd -23th, 2017.
- GR8conf US, Minneapolis - USA, July 26th - 28th, 2016.